PIDDLE POO PROBLEM

People always say, “there are no bad dogs, only bad owners”.

I think it is quite an unfair statement for good dog owners who have toilet challenged fur babies.

I know this for a fact because I was one of these dog owners. I followed advise from a variety of “How to housebreak your puppy” books and articles when I was raising my tiny teacup chihuahua. Yet she just couldn’t get into the proper routine. For a long time, I felt that I failed as a dog mom. I couldn’t train her no matter how regular, consistent and dedicated the whole family was in trying all suggested ways to teach her to become a “polite” member of the family and do all her business outside.

Upload Image...

Section with Image Top

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.

 

She wasn’t completely untrainable – she would go outside in the morning before breakfast. But for the rest of the day, she would take her pick of room, carpet, floor, rug, at the most unexpected times of the day (despite regular let-outs as I worked at home, so it made it easier to watch her closely…and yet, 70% of the time I miss and the other 30%, I’d catch her at the start of going, pick her up and end up having her pee all over my hands….)

Her Vet suggested that we confine her to a smaller comfortable space or crate train her, so she would learn her boundaries. We made her a little corner of her own and limited her access to the whole house. There were brief moments of success. But, we did not want to have a dog that can only stay in their little enclosure like an animal at the petting zoo. She is part of the family, and we want her to be with us. As little access as she has to the living room, she starts acting like a rebel, marking all forbidden areas of the house and looking quite satisfied with her mission.

It was very frustrating. Most of the puppies that are relinquished to shelters stem from housebreaking issues.This is the reality.Do we really accept that all these dog parents who give up their dogs for this reason are bad parents?Do we think they did not try or did not try enough?As a pet parent who have gone through this, I refuse to believe that experts who say “house training is a simple technique and the key to it is patience, consistency and a regular routine” is all that is needed.

If this was the case, I could just open up a business called “Housebreaking Puppies School” and guarantee all troubled pet parents that I can successfully train all dogs, 100% guaranteed. Yes, there would be a big demand and I’d make the canine world a toilet-trouble free world. Unfortunately, that is wishful thinking.

So, what do we do now when pet parents get the piddle-poo problem?Give up your fur baby and save your floors or carpet from ruin?Keep your fur baby, continue the same training (which you have been doing for 2 years now) until some miracle happens?You know what they say, insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome.

Or, as a responsible pet parent, accept the dog’s limitations and find ways to have them in our lives with as little chaos as possible when it comes to toilet habits.

I am a big believer of crate training.